Thursday, July 03, 2008

Top 40 at 40 #35

#35 The Allman Brothers Band- Ain't Wastin' Time No More 1972

I had a fairly long jam band phase in the late 80s through the early 90s. I saw the Grateful Dead live 12 times, Phish twice, Widespread Panic, Blues Traveler. We used to go and see a Band called the Park Avenue Band do jam band cover songs every Wed. Night at a Bar in the Village Gate .Drove there in a bright orange VW Bus.... Lots of Labatt beer, groovy little granola girls and circle dancing. I will admit to owning one Tie dyed t-shirt with the Grateful Dead's Steal Your Face logo on it. And tripping my own face off more than several times.. And I can remember the mantra heard at every Dead Show parking lot affair as we walked around looking for contraband, bracelets and burritos......" Trips, Doses, Transparencies, Yin Yang...." All those dreadlocked white kids camped out behind their Jettas selling veggie sandwiches...in the summer heat Jerry's Kids could really pack a rotting fruity stank., lots of flowing bandana dresses, toe rings and plentiful pit hair......what a scene, man... But it was all about the music, really for me.

The one band that stayed with me all of these years is the Allman Brothers Band. I love Greg Allman's voice. Besides maybe Paul Rodgers from Bad Company...he has the best Blues Voice...raspy, tired, downtrodden...a thick drawl that oozes like moonshine dripping into a still from within his lyrics. His brother Duane was the premier slide guitar player of all time and the true band leader up until 1971 when he crashed his motorcycle at age 24 and left this mortal coil. This song is the first track from Eat a Peach , the best Allman Brothers Album and the first without Duane.(Duane did contribute to two of the studio tracks-and all of the live cuts). I love the message....and it rings true with me, because I feel sometimes that I've wasted alot of time...."still have two strong legs, two wings to fly." I love Greg's piano and Berry Oakley's bass line which tags along with the slide guitar. (Dicky Betts provides the slide-its nice, but it ain't Duane). I also like the song because its under 10 minutes long. Back then I had the patience for a 23 minute long version of Whipping Post.....now I'd rather have cinder blocks dropped on my toes or be trapped in a room with three gangster rappers........seano

Top 5 Allman Brothers songs 1) Ain't Wastin' Time No More 2)Black Hearted Woman 3) Melissa 4)Dreams 5) High Falls
01 Ain't Wastin' Time No More.m4a
3498K Download

No comments:

Post a Comment