These are the people who make your favorite bands sound like your favorite bands.
These are the players who either sidestep the spotlight or get ignored or pushed out by a frontperson drowning in talent, ego, or having perfectly high and sometimes sucked- in cheekbones. They may have faces for radio, but you cannot imagine the band you love without them. It is their talent that, at the least is the back bone of their band's greatest hit and deep cuts.
These guys are usually on the cover of Fanboy Illustrated or Modern Strummer. Not Rolling Stone or Spin...
These are not session men...
These are the Top Secret Weapons in Rock
1) Larry Graham-Sly and the Family Stone
2) Maceo Parker-James Brown
3) John Paul Jones-Led Zeppelin
4) Nels Kline-Wilco
5) Steve Jones-Sex Pistols
6) Eric Avery-Janes Addiction
7) Phil Selway-Radiohead
8) Steve Nieve-Elvis Costello
9) Berry Oakley-Allman Bros.
10) Mitch Mitchell-Jimi Hendrix Experience
11) Jon Theodore-Mars Volta
12) Benmont Tench-Tom Petty
13) Mike Johnson-Mark Lanegan
14) Davey Johnstone-Elton John
15) Richard Wright- Pink Floyd
16) Nils Lofgren -Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen
17) Derek St. Holmes-Ted Nugent
18) Malcolm Young-AC DC
19) Brad Whitford-Aerosmith
20) Alain Johannes- Queens of the Stone Age
21) Garth Hudson-The Band
22) Smokey Hormel-Beck
23) Marc Ford- Black Crowes
24) Ian Paice-Deep Purple
25) Animal-Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem
Whatcha got? Who are some other secret weapons I may have forgotten?