Thursday, April 01, 2010

Fallout from Yesterday: Mandatory Roundtable Discussion

The fallout from yesterday's anti hip hop rant has been...colossal. I really didn't think anyone would care.The feelings were caustically thrown out there, and really had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with a genre of entertainment I don't like at all. It had been bottled up inside of me for so long and it was seeping through my psyche like poison. I'm known to let loose with a rant now and again here at Circle of Fits so I thought I was cool to do so, especially on my little blog which, while growing in readership, is still very little.

I was contacted at around 11:15 pm eastern time last night by a representative from Google (who shall remain nameless) who said that word had gotten back to him from the management of a very popular hip hop artist. This artist had somehow read my post from yesterday and was very angry about it. Thought it was dangerous, had racial overtones and promoted violence.....went on and on about how he wanted to meet the man who was behind this vitriol or have my blog shut down. Period.  Google was contacted because they own Blogger, the platform on which I publish my blog. I cannot go into details about what was discussed because of the legal boundaries surrounding this "incident" as it is being called, I guess.

What I can tell you is that I have to attend an "internet roundtable discussion" that will be filmed w/webcams from different locations(including right here at my desk) and possibly posted on a website (also must remain unnamed-but you know it, for sure). This artist will be at one location and two more very recognizable hip hop industry names will be filmed at theirs. Plain and simple, if I refuse to do this, my site gets shut down for sure, and this artist will use yesterday's rant on my little site "as an example" and go to the press. This will make Google look bad for sure, so they set this whole thing up to throw some dirt on the fire.

I'm as dumbfounded as you are, believe me.  We will be discussing the "underlying problem" of veiled racism in the blogosphere using found examples (I guess there are more, but I was told mine really struck a chord with this entertainer) but I am told no politics will be discussed. I'm hoping to have a say, because there are so many things I don't understand about hip hop. I would also like to at least be able to explain myself as a non violent and extremely sarcastic person, and one who doesn't really "hate" anything. I've never been in a fist fight, or even a scuffle, and I'm not planning on joining any underground militia group or tea party at anytime while still walking upright on this earth.

Please stay tuned.........

16 comments:

  1. Crazy. and yes I am dumbfounded. I am, however, interested to see how this roundtable goes down and who the artists are. Additionally, if your site gets shut down for that it would have to open up scrutiny for so so many other sites I am sure!
    First Amendment, here we go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seano, for what it's worth, I stood up and applauded your rant. I believe you spoke the minds of many! (Including me) You have my support, bro! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Dude, let them shut your site down over this. Don't sit in on their little bullshit roundtable "discussion." It's going to be so fucking hypocritical as they get their revenge on you and put you on the defensive only looking to get a bullshit apology from you. Don't fucking do it man, let Google pull the plug and go somewhere else to do your blog. Fuck them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sean,

    I was really hoping for the obligatory "April Fools!" when I first read this.

    Yes?

    If not, Voltaire is spinning in his grave right now.

    I did not read anything in your original post more severe than one person's thoughts about the invasive nature of internet marketing and an expression of distaste for a genre of music. If you had said that "new country" sucked donkeys, would you have to publicly apologize to Toby Keith?

    ReplyDelete
  5. April Fools my friends! Remember the slogan: We love all music and all people! The only round table discussion I'm prone to being a part of is "Best left Handed Bass Players of the 70s", or "The Future of Pants on the Ground: Will Urban Men Put Their Belts to Use?"

    Thanks for your concern, though! Love you, mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one Seano!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *smacks hand on forehead* Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You totally got me :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew it!

    Brilliant set up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone contacted me to ask me if this was true or not. I hadn't read (sorry I'm behind now that I am working again!) but when I did, I knew you were pulling our proverbial legs...and very well done since obviously several people were fooled. I found myself wishing it were true...think of the massive publicity it would generate!!! So I took it upon myself to send links to the Hip Hop post to: Lil'Wayne, Young Jeezy, 50 Cent, Chamillionaire, Kanye West, Akon, Bow Wow, Soulja Boy, DJ Khaled, Diddy, Fabulous, Snoop Dogg, T-Pain, Flo Rida, The Game, Jay-Z, Kingspade, Ludacris, Bobby Valentino, Omarion, Plies, Pretty Ricky, R. Kelly, Young Joc, Three 6 Mafia, Timberland and will keep sending it until we get you on Larry King Live, maybe even OPRAH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha ha, good one Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:38 AM

    I'm rootin for you, buddy. Ridiculous to think a man can't speak his mind. Think they're using you to make some other point, one that has nothing to do with you, your tastes and your humble blog. It's okay to be critical of stuff you don't like (in whatever colorful language you chose)and not expect a backlash...I think your up against the robots (the corporate ones). I salute you! -The Outlaw

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:42 AM

    That was f-d up. Should have read the comments. Kinda wish it was true though...Circle Of Fits should be in this kind of brawl. Good one mate. -The Outlaw

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me going for the briefest of moments - what a great prank, mate. Well done!

    YourZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude you are mean. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete