Monday, May 25, 2009

Jay Bennett .. RIP



I just read that Jay Bennett, former member of Wilco, died in his sleep at age 45. Jay was a huge part of the Being There, Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot albums as a co-writer, multi instrumentalist and all around studio wizard.

Jay was asked to leave the band after YHF was released on the heels of a power struggle between he and Jeff Tweedy, stemming from a slew of production and mixdown decisions for the sessions.

This struggle can be seen in all of its head turning glory in the documentary "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart", which follows the recording,shelving and re release of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

The strangest part of this sad news is that it comes mere weeks after Jay Bennett filed suit against Jeff Tweedy for breach of contract with claims of underpaid royalties for the albums which he was involved with.

Bennett was no slouch, but did let his prowess and perfectionism get the best of him..here is a link to a list of his credits on the tracks from YHF..

http://www.gloriousnoise.com/?pg=bennettyhf.php

1 comment:

  1. Very sad news. I have another name to add to my list. Which is weird because just today I said "I think I am going to have a name to add to my list by the end of the day". I hate it when that happens :(

    Strange timing for his death so soon after filing that ....

    ReplyDelete