Saturday, July 05, 2008

Top 40 at 40 #34

#34 Brian Eno An Ending(Ascent) 1983

Have you ever sought out or discovered by accident a song or piece of music that fits your need perfectly? Whatever the need may be? This is one of those songs. I have had periods of depression throughout my life, sometimes accompanied by ANXIETY. I believe in the healing power of music and have used it many times over to get me out (or in) to some mental jam. I happen to be afraid of flying. It wasn't always that way. I was a fine flier until a flight to Oregon in 1997 that was severely turbulent throughout, and after I changed my underwear that day, I changed as a person as well. The lack of control over my own environment started to send my mind and body into its own orbit of disarray, misuse and misinterpretation.

Eventually I rediscovered Brian Eno. The "godfather" of ambient music....who has produced albums for David Bowie, Talking Heads and U2, been a keyboardist for Roxy Music and had a long career of his own as an instrumentalist. This research led me to his 1983 album Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks. This LP was originally a soundtrack for film documentary called For All Mankind, about the NASA Apollo Missions. And this song is to me, quite simply the most beautiful piece of instrumental music I have ever heard. As I listen, I picture myself floating safely down to earth, or among the chaos of a storm erupts beside me, invincible as debris from the war of argument , asteroid clouds or emotional wreckage deflects off of me. It is THE calming factor for me while in flight now along with several other of Mr. Eno's compositions. I am calm and safe within these notes. Please give it a try....it may do the same for you.

You may have heard this piece before and not have been able to place it. I have heard many bands use it as a warm up song before they come on stage in a large stadium. It has been used in TV shows, movies like 28 Days Later and Traffic, as well as in an Ad for Playstation 3.

Top 5 Brian Eno songs 1) Ending (an ascent) 2) 1/1 (From Music For Airports-'78) 3)Aragon (from Music For Films '76) 4)Sparrowfall(Music for Films) 5)Baby's On Fire(Here Come the Warm Jets)

No comments:

Post a Comment