Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Top 40 at 40 #8

#9 Iggy and the Stooges Search and Destroy 1973
The Stooges were the FIRST punk band. Punk 101 for anyone who cares. Their debut album came out in 1969. Iggy and his band mates shot out of Detroit with an insane style that nobody had ever seen before...and Iggy (James Osterberg) was a frontman like Jim Morrison+ a years supply of amphetamines. The Ramones were later, and the Sex Pistols were later than that.
In 1973 Iggy regrouped the Stooges in the UK after a long breakup to record the incredibly influential Punk cornerstone RAW POWER...produced by David Bowie. This song is the peak point of that album....it just jumps through the speakers and grabs you by the throat...
To me, this song is instant courage music....and of all of my NYC 1999-2004 anthems...this one is the denim and leather cream that rose to the top....walking in bad neighborhoods, fists clenched and ready, come on and tempt me music....."I'm a street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm!" It was a mainstay on my Mp3 player...at many times I felt like the "world's forgotten boy" and this song put away my troubles and allowed me to seek inspiration, or a cold PBR on those mean streets of the Lower East Side.
I had the chance to see Iggy Pop and the Stooges in SF last year. I've never seen any frontman move the way he did and I doubt I ever will again. He's 60 years old by the way.
Easily one of the top 5 frontmen of all time.....if you mimic his moves you would burn more carbs than 2 spinning classes back to back...exhausting...exhilirating..... Long Live Iggy!
06 Search And Destroy.m4a
3278K Download

No comments:

Post a Comment